Monday, October 25, 2010

We never give them enough credit!

It's amazing what our little children know, which we don't give enough credit for. 

Zoe and her mommy just walked in the door from therapy, to find me watching football (what else is there to watch on Monday night).  Dinner was almost ready to serve, and I was sitting in my chair.  2 minutes after they walked in the door, Zoe looked at me and said "Abby", which means she wanted to watch Sesame Street.

Of course there was no way I was wanted to change the channel, so I looked at her and asked "don't you want to watch football with daddy?".  She said "NO" and replied "Abby" one more time.  This actually went on for a few more minutes, back and forth me asking her to watch football with me, she saying no and asking to watch Abby.   I got up out of the chair to check on dinner, and right behind me was Zoe, following pretty close.  I stopped at the counter and 2 seconds later the remote control was placed on the counter in front of me and the words "Abby" came out 1 more time.  I laughed and smiled really big, told her how smart she was and begged her to watch football.  I finally won.

After dinner was done, I got up to put away a couple of things, and Zoe followed me into the kitchen.  There was a pot holder on the counter, and she grabbed it and handed it to me.  She was helping me clean up, which was pretty nice.  As soon as she gave me the pot holder, she bent down and opened the drawer to show me where to put it.  Once again, I smiled and gave her a hug and told her how smart she was.

We sat down to watch a little more football, she was right next to me in my chair cuddling with me.  She gave me a hug, and once again told me "Abby".  I finally caved and switched the channel.  The smile on her face was priceless, and she jumped off the chair and planted herself in front of the tv.  About 5 seconds after sitting on the floor, she turned to me, smiled and put her arms around herself - telling me she wanted a hug.  She was thankful for getting to watch Abby, and I am thankful for such a wonderful little girl. 

Just because a child has a disability, it doesn't mean they don't know what's going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment