Sunday, February 20, 2011

Little girls and daddy

What a great weekend!  Saturday morning Zoe was on the local news with a bunch of other kids.  It is soon the start of Bambino Baseball.  It's pretty awesome to watch your daughter (who you never thought would be able to play any sport) participate in a baseball game.  I thought it was awesome the local news station would do a small little bit on the little league, but thought they might go into more depths about children with special needs playing with the typically developing children.  Oh well, she was on the news, and I was able to get a photo of her with 2 local news people.

After the news, we all went to the local golf show as a family.  I know my wife really didn't want to go, but I was very happy she decided to join us.  I had a buddy who was at a booth promoting the golf course he works at, so we started to make our way there.  Along the way, a very nice gentleman stopped me and asked if we had gotten Zoe her FREE golf club yet.  I said no and he proceeded to take us to his booth and gave Zoe her first club.  It is a driver, complete with head cover.  She was so happy and proud and insisted she carry it around for the rest of the time (we had to take it away a couple of times as she continued to swing it all around and almost hit a few people).   It was kind of funny at times watching her carry it like her best friend.  At times she would put it in front of her, popping it up and down as she tried to walk, which caused her to fall over.  It was hard not to laugh with her, but I managed to keep it under control as the people around just wouldn't understand. 

I can't wait to actually get a ball in front of her and help her hit the ball.  Maybe in a few years we can get out on the course a couple of times.  I think I am going to look at joining up with First Tee when the time gets closer.  I talked to a PGA Tour players wife today who is very involved with First Tee and she told me they would definitely help a child with special needs.  She also mentioned that her and her husband are very active in charity events, and would like to help out with our golf tournament we are putting on.  I hope it pans out.

I love getting kisses from a gooey face, and hearing the words "I wuv ew daddy".  I got a lot of that this weekend, and they always make me warm inside. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so cute that she loved the golf clubs! My daughter keziah is going to take her first 'dance' class and I'm excited to see how much she will love it... It was something I always thought I'd put her in and then with her diagnosis it was a dream I had to edit.... :). The class is for kids with all with cp... A whole room full of cuties!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she enjoys dancing! I'll bet the class would be a great one to watch. I love seeing all the smiles when they are doing something society thinks they probably can't do. How Awesome.

    ReplyDelete